Welcome to our Wooyung Defenders website
Tips for the investor:
- Some of the information provided on the developers' website, advertising the site for sale, are misleading.
- Did you know that the approved DA is for 300 tourist units only ?
- There are now 36 conditions, and not only 30 conditions, to be fulfilled. The six new ones to be fulfilled before earthworks begin.
- Did you know that Tweed Shire Council representatives
recommended the Wooyung Action Group write to the Director General of
NSW Planning to request he revoke this DA ?
- Did you know that at the end of 2003 there were 1200 beds
provided in tourist accommodation in the Tweed coast and at the end of
2009 there will be close to 5000 beds. There is no documented increased
growth in domestic tourism in the Tweed to cope with this increased
supply. Do you really want to invest in this kind of flat market ?
- Did you know that nearly 60% of the site are planned to be
developed, contrasting strongly with 70% of the area now being zoned
for Environmental Protection in the Tweed LEP 2000 Amendment 21.
- Did you know that a recent survey of over 1000 Tweed
residents and business owners revealed a 93% opposition to this
- Did you know that areas of SEPP 26 Littoral rainforest and
the 100m buffer zone around them are protected under State law and any
work which may damage them will require additional consent from Tweed
Shire Council with concurrence of Director General for the Department
of Environment and Conservation ?
Areas likely to be affected are: The lake, the site water storage
tanks, village green, board walk and the surf life saving kiosk.
Changes to meet SEPP 26 laws will most likely require a fresh DA.
- Did you know the developer must provide water at their own cost ?
The nearest town, 7.5km away, has no forward planning for this and as such not enough water to supply development.
- Did you know the developer will be required to upgrade all roads in and out of Wooyung ?
- Did you know the developer will be required to replace the railway bridge at the corner of the old Pacific Highway ?
- Did you know the current treatment for acid-sulphate soils
is application of tons of lime, which will most likely not be
appropriate for the artificial lake with groundwater connection to
Billinudgel Creek ?
- Did you know that building on acid-sulphate soils dissolve
most building materials, which is the reason why major projects
in the region have been stopped or significantly delayed ?
- Did you know the Tweed Shire Council previously rejected this DA on environmental grounds ?
- Did you know the Tweed Shire Council fought this approval at the Land and Environment Court ?
- Did you know in the application to stage the development the
Tweed Shire Council received more than 36 conforming objections from
community and environmental groups, one petition having 150 signatories
- Did you know that the Minister for Planning, Frank Sartor,
has already received more than 300 letters from surrounding community
members asking him to revoke this development consent on the basis of
the original consent being tainted by corruption ?